Ingredients1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups spelt flour
- 1 ½ Tbsp baking powder
- 6 Tbsp Simon's Secret Sauce (any flavor)
- 1 ½ tsp dry mustard powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ½ cup unsalted butter, cold, cubed
- 1 ½ cups shredded aged cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped chives
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup soured milk or half and half cream
- 1 large egg, beaten with 1 Tbsp water, for brushing tops
Instructions1. Preheat the oven to 400 °F. Place a rack in the centre of the oven. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Combine the dry ingredients (all-purpose flour to pepper) in a large bowl.
3. Cut in the butter using a pastry blender, or use your fingers, until the mixture resembles coarse meal, but be sure to leave some large pea-size bits of butter, too.
4. Stir in 1 cup (250 mL) of the cheddar and the chives.
5. In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg, Simon's Secret Sauce and soured milk.
6. Pour over the dry ingredients, stirring with a wooden spoon just until a soft dough forms.
7. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and pat into a circle about 1-inch thick.
8. Cut out 12 biscuits using a 2 1/2 -inch cutter, re-rolling the trimmings if necessary.
9. Arrange the biscuits on the prepared baking sheet.
10. Brush the tops lightly with the egg and sprinkle with remaining cheese
11. Bake for 5 minutes, then turn the heat down to 375 °F and bake another 10-12 minutes until the biscuits are golden and the cheese has melted.
12. Let cool on a wire rack.