- 3 multi-colored bell peppers
- 1 red onion, peeled
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp Simon's Secret Sauce (any flavor)
- 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 lb. mild or hot Italian sausage or bratwurst (Vegans can use vegan sausages)
Toasted rolls, for serving
- Cut the sides off of the bell peppers and remove the stem and seeds. Cut the bell peppers into 1-inch wide strips.
- Quarter the onion by cutting through the root end, then cutting each quarter in half, lengthwise. Trim the root end from the onion wedges and break apart the pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine the peppers, onions, Simon's Secret Sauce (any flavor), olive oil, salt and pepper. Mix well to combine.
- For the grill: Heat a grill over medium heat (about 375˚). Oil the grill grates well. Place the sausages on one side of the grill and a grill basket on the other. Add the onions and peppers to the grill basket in a single layer. Cover and cook until the sausages have grill marks on one side and the peppers and onions are slightly charred, 5 to 7 minutes. Turn the sausages and give the onions and peppers a stir. Cover and cook until the sausages internal temperature reaches 160˚ and the peppers and onions are charred in spots and softened, 5 to 7 minutes more.
- For the stovetop: Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Place the sausages in a single layer, evenly spaced. Cover and cook until golden brown on one side, 5 to 7 minutes. Flip the sausages, cover and cook until the sausages internal temperature reaches 160˚, 5 to 7 minutes more. Remove from the heat and transfer to a plate. Return the skillet to medium-high heat and add the peppers and onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, until charred in spots and softened, 8 to 10 minutes. You can also brush the sausages up with some sauce too - it gets more flavorful this way.
- Serve immediately with toasted rolls, if desired.